Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 02:03:14 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: video mode switching has gone south

>   It seems (nay, it IS so) that video mode switching has gotten extremely
>strange within the last few days.  This is not a problem just with vidcontrol
>and syscons, this affects XFree86 as well. I've got two kernels, the old one
>which does not exhibit this problem, and the new one which does.
>
>Working:
>        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #3: Sun Nov 22 21:45:52 EST 1998
>Broken:
>        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #4: Mon Nov 23 20:11:02 EST 1998
[...]
>   Video mode switching is defined as "any video mode changing, including
>resolution changing and switching between non- and graphical screen modes," so
>affects X and syscons. An example of what previously happened:
>
>00:00 I type "xmame wb3bl", for example, which uses Xxf86dga
>00:01 xmame initializes, attempts to switch to 320x240
>00:02 screen blanks
>00:03 320x240 screen pops up, then blanks
>00:04 game shows up
>15:07 I get bored and press escape
>15:08 screen switches back to 1280x1024
>
>   In the newer kernel (more or less, my memory might not be great):
>
>00:00 I type "xmame wb3bl", for example, which uses Xxf86dga
>00:01 xmame initializes, attempts to switch to 320x240
>00:02 screen blanks
>00:05 1280x1024 screen pops back up, garbled
>00:07 screen blanks
>00:09 1280x1024 screen pops back up
>00:12 screen blanks
>00:17 320x240 screen pops up
>00:19 screen blanks
>00:23 game shows up
>01:40 I press escape because now I'm bored of this game and FreeBSD is being
>	annoying
>01:41 screen blanks
>01:45 1280x1024 screen pops back up garbled
>01:46 screen blanks
>01:48 screen is back to normal
>
>   If anyone has any ideas why any of this is happening now, I'd like to hear
>any possible explanations.

Video mode switching in the X session is completely managed by the X
server. The kernel and syscons are not in any way involved.

Which version of XFree86 are you using?

Do you see any problems outside the X as well?  Do you see garbled or
blank screen when you try to change video mode via vidcontrol?

Kazu