Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2016 13:27:10 -0400
From:      am_dxer@fastmail.fm
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   thinkpad t410: high power usage during idle until machine is suspended and resumed

Hello,
I recently installed FreeBSD on a Thinkpad t410. I noticed that after
suspending and resuming the machine, the power use decreased by about 3
or 4 watts. While searching for what might be causing this, I installed
Intel pcm. From this tool, I found that the c3 and c6 package residency
states are only being used after I resume from suspend. The normal core
c states do work correctly before and after suspend. I applied the
settings to rc.conf related to c states from the Powermanagement page of
the FreeBSD wiki. Is there any other settings I should try applying to
get the package states to work before suspend or is this just a bios
bug? There is an updated bios but I figured I would ask here before
installing it to see if there is a setting I should try modifying in
FreeBSD. I saw in the release notes that the bios was modified to add
Windows 8 support. The DSDT changes to support Windows 8 could have
broken something else so I am kind of hesitant to update since
everything else is working especially reliable suspend and resume.
Thanks.