Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 15:15:13 -0400
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

Vincent Poy wrote:

>         I thought the TX was supposed to be better than the HX chipset.
> At any rate, is it better to get the new ASUS TX97 motherboards with the
> TX chipset or the HX?  Also, is the ATX form-factor the way to go or is
> the standard AT footprint still supported even for future motherboards?
> I'm thinking about getting another machine but didn't know if I should go
> the ATX route or not.  Like what are the advantages and disadvantages of
> ATX?

I believe the TX chipset is faster if you use SDRAM and you do not need
more than 64 Meg of RAM.  I'm sure someone can point you to some
benchmark results (hint, hint).  The HX is better for those who need
more "server"-like features such as  greater than 64 Meg of RAM support
and multiple processor support.  The HX does not support SDRAM (only EDO
and FPM).  Note:  The TX does allow you to use more than 64meg but it
does not cache it - not very useful IMHO.

For Pentiums, Intel has not provided a single chipset that is clearly
superior - it really depends on your needs.  The VX chipset I think is
obsolete unless there are serious cost savings involved.

Serious Disclaimer:  I have not tested the TX with FreeBSD (yet). Maybe
someone else can comment on this?

Does anyone know if the VIA Apollo VP2 is any better?   What about the
new AMD CMD640 chipset (which is based on the VP2 - maybe it IS the
VP2)?

--
David W. Alderman	dave@persprog.com