Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:21:49 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Bernt Hansson <bernt@bah.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with german umlauts and gtk apps (maybe unicode issue)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:16:18 +0200, Bernt Hansson <bernt@bah.homeip.net> wrote:
> 2011-06-08 21:57, Alexander Best skrev:
> > hi there,
>
> Hallo
>
> > for me the output of `locale -a` looks like this:
> >
> > LANG=en_GB.ISO8859-15
> > LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-15
> > LC_COLLATE="en_GB.ISO8859-15"
> > LC_TIME=de_DE.ISO8859-15
> > LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.ISO8859-15
> > LC_MONETARY=de_DE.ISO8859-15
> > LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.ISO8859-15"
> > LC_ALL=
>
> What is the reason for setting that?

The reason is to have finer control over certain
language aspects. For example, if one wants to have
collation and date specific settings for the german
language, but english program messages, LC_* can be
used to address things individually. LC_ALL sets _one_
definition for all aspects, and LANG... I think LANG
will be used if LC_* aren't present... not fully sure.

> I only set this in the .login_conf;
>
> me:\
>          :charset=iso-8859-1:\
>          :lang=sv_SE.ISO8859-1:
>
> And all is fine and dandy, except gqview only understands utf-8

I assume this does define LC_* / LANG variables? I
know this setting is present in the system, but I
never really used login.conf. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany