Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:24:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew White <awhite@dca.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Additions to FAQ

I'd like to propose two additions to the FAQ:

1. kernel: mb_map full
   I have had the above error message crash my machine several times.
   After some help from bugs@freebsd.org, it turns out that the value
   of NMBCLUSTERS was too low in src/sys/i386/include/param.h.
   Upping the default value from 256/512 to 1024/2048 is suggested
   for users running systems with heavy network I/O (many simultaneous
   TCP connections).  Of course, recompiling the kernel and rebooting
   is necessary for this change to take effect.

2. Virtual Hosts via WWW
   To enable the "virtual host" service of the Apache WWW server
   (or other httpd servers that support virtual hosts -- I believe
   there is a patch available for NCSA's server), the following should
   be done:

     ifconfig $ifn <ipaddr> alias
     arp -s <ipaddr> <eth_hardw_addr> pub

   Where <ipaddr> is an additional IP address corresponding to the
   hostname of the "virtual host", $ifn refers to the name of
   the network interface (eg, "ed0"), and <eth_hardw_addr> is the
   ethernet hardware address of $ifn.

   For example,

     ifconfig ed0 204.183.80.24 alias
     arp -s 204.183.80.24 0:0:c0:1:2:3 pub

   adds a virtual host for www.condyn.com (204.183.80.24).

   The ethernet hardware address can be found by looking at the output
   of "arp -a".  I added the above commands for each "virtual host"
   to /etc/netstart, so that it takes effect after each reboot.

-Andrew

awhite@dca.net    http://www.dca.net/     (work-related)
Andrew@White.org  http://www.white.org/   (personal)
DCANET: The Delaware Common Access Network
Call (302) 654-1019 or send mail to info@dca.net for more information.