Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:08:36 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tangent for discussion: FreeBSD performs worse that Linux

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 05:48:19AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> > J D, you have an idea.
>
> "D J", actually. But "Dave" or "Hawk" gets my attention faster.

Mea culpa.  Please blame this on four hours sleep, followed by four
hours blindly running Oracle's "adpatch" before the DBAs arrive...

Personally, I respond to just about anything, including "Hey, Loser!"

> > In fact, if you do it well, you might even find a vaguely well-known
> > BSD columnist picking up your site in a future article.
>
> Ack. Don't do that. Sooner or later, the economy will pick up again, I'll
> get myself the badly-needed job I lost, and my play-time will once again
> be reduced by a factor of four. The last thing I'll need then is any kind
> of publicity.

Well, hang on here a second.  I'd say you want publicity for exactly
that reason.  Eventually, you'll move on to other things.  We want
someone else to pick up when you depart.  I strongly recommend you
plan for your successor to come along.  Don't worry about who that
person is, just leave them an opening.  Some poor slob who is hooked
on your service will have no choice but to handle it when you're too
busy to, and the whole community will benefit.  :)

For example, I'm working on the FAQ right now.  If you check various
parts of the FAQ, you'll see that they were originally maintained by
jkh, nik, and a long list of other people, all at different times.
They would want someone to pick up where they left off.  At some
point, someone will succeed me as the FAQ "interested party".

==ml

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org