Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:20:50 +0900
From:      SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jre1.1.7 core dump on FreeBSD 3.1 (intel)

> > When
> > I run either java or jre, I get a "Floating point exception" and I get a
> > core file.

> None that I'm aware of.  Are you using a 386 box or something that might
> cause floating point exceptions?

FreeBSD don't mask some floating point exceptions which
are masked on initial state of x87. Overflow(OM),
Devided by zero(ZM) and illegal operation(IM) aren't
masked.

Does JDK for FreeBSD change these FPU exception masks
from default value?

We can investigate the states of the masks by the
following code:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  unsigned short cw;
  __asm__("fnstcw %0" : "=m"(cw));
  printf("FPU control word: 0x%04x\n", (int)cw);
  return 0;
}

The code shows FPU control word.
  On linux:	0x037f
  On FreeBSD:	0x1272

Kazuyuki SHUDO				Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., Grad. School of Sci. & Eng., Waseda Univ.