Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:29:23 -0700
From:      Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Naming confusion

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>> >don't worry about it.
>>
>>With XFree86, it is an issue.
>>It appears that Xorg won't configure correctly without it. Although I
>>won't swear that's the problem with Xorg.
>>

>If you describe the actual symptoms you're seeing, someone might be
>able to help.
>

>> >Unless you're trying to have someone outside reach your machine (as
>>opposed to vice versa), you might as well just use whatever name the
>>ISP you're currently connected to tries to give you.
>>
>>Uhhhh, The computer with FBSD on it has not been connected to the
>>Internet since last winter, when it had Win 98SE on it. I'm a truck
>>driver who carries two computers in the truck with me, and seem to be
>>collecting more older computers at home in Wyoming. In the truck, I
>>always have one computer turned on. I get my loads over the Internet,
>>get most of my news over the Internet, keep truck records, do my legal
>>logbook, and keep in touch with my daughters who live in Europe, and
>>learn about FreeBSD all with a laptop computer. The fact of the matter
>>is that I can not even work without a working computer.
>>

>I can't even tell from that paragraph whether you want the FreeBSD
>machine to be Internet-connected or not.  If you don't, then just pick
>any old name for the machine (preferably with a non-existent top-level
>domain), stick that name into rc.conf as 'hostname', and add it to
>/etc/hosts as well (for 127.0.0.1).
>
>E.g.,
> rc.conf could have
>hostname="lloyd-freebsd.private"
> and hosts could have
>127.0.0.1		localhost lloyd-freebsd.private
>

>>Since many of the processes running on FreeBSD require a 'named'
>>computer, I need to know how to handle this. Otherwise, as it says in
>>"The Complete FreeBSD" book, there will be processes which will not
>>run, or else they will not run correctly on my computer. The answer to
>>this problem does not seemed to be addressed while using 'dhclient' in
>>any of the printed information that I could find.
>>

>If you're running DHCP, then you could just have dhclient set the
>system name.  I do something like this on my own laptop, but I haven't
>got access to it at the moment.  Basically I just had one of the
>dhclient "hooks" scripts set the machine's hostname to whatever DHCP
>had just assigned.  Something like:
>
>if [ "x${new_host_name}" = "x" ] ; then
>        hostname ${new_host_name}
>fi
>
>If you want to be able to go offline without rebooting, you would need
>a little more tinkering -- probably an entry in pccard.conf resetting
>your hostname when you remove the modem card would do that.

----------------------------
Do I want to connect this machine to the Internet? Yes, as a client.

Have I been able to connect this machine to the Internet using FreeBSD? No

    Conditions for Internet Access: WiFi 802.11 b or g wireless at
    different locations all across the USA. No regular access location
    or service, and no land line.

    Other considerations: External (CD-Burner-DVD Roms,  Hard Drives,
    Scanners, Printers, Cameras, Video - Audio - Multimedia Devices,
    Modems, WiFi cards, Port Adapters, Touch Tablets w/mice, Keyboards,
    mice, etc.)  These devices are all external from the laptops.

One problem or another always comes up. Right now, I'm dealing with this
naming issue.

Xorg is a problem which seems to come under the heading of New
Technology. I'll stick with XFree86.
Xorg is now off of this computer.

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com