Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:10:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question about incrementing kernel revision #'s?

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Donald Burr wrote:

> >From the output of 'uname -v':
> FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 13 02:57:10 PST 1995     root@ncc-1701-d:/usr/src/sys/compile/STARFLEET
>                       ^^
>
> Now, I don't claim to be a unix wizard or a expert sysadmin or anything,
> but it is my understanding that this number (marked with ^^) is supposed
> to be incremented every time I build a new kernel -- i.e. if i
> add/remove/reconfigure devices, or whatnot.
>
> So why isn't it?
>
> Here's how I typically do things:
>
> cd /sys/i386/conf
> config STARFLEET
> cd ../../compile/STARFLEET
> make depend ; make all ; make install
>
> Is this command set somehow causing the version# to not be incremented?
>
> Is this all just a foolish and frivolous line of thought?

I think I have this straight ... every time you do a config, unless you
use the -n parameter to config, it wipes out your build directory,
/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNELNAME.  If you were to do two builds without
cleaning things out, then you would get the version number rising.  This
seems to be controlled by a file vers.c which is built using a script
named newversion.sh, in /usr/src/sys/conf, which extracts all the current
info, and increments the version number (I'm not yet clear on how)

I've seen so many embarrassing errors go by caused by folks that 'knew
better' not doing cleanouts, that I really wouldn't recommend doing that
config -n unless you're ready to look dumb when you get caught by it.

> Please respond.. thanks
>
> Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
> TEL (805)564-1871 // FAX 564-2315 // WWW http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dburr
> PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or Public Key Servers.
> ** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

     Here's OJ's internet address in hex code:
           00 2F 2F 2F 2F 5C 7F 2D 0D 15 1B 19 24 24 24 18
           If you can't recall the translation, here it is:
           null character, slash, slash, slash, slash, backslash, rubout, dash,
           carriage return, negative acknowledgement, escape, end of media,
           dollar sign, dollar sign, dollar sign, cancel