Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 12:39:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        chris@enteract.com (dcastle)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting takes forever

dcastle writes:

>    I just installed FreeBSD 2.1 on a 486 box, and I'm having trouble with
> it hanging during bootup.
>    It gets to this point:
>
> add net default: gateway 204.119.47.50
>
>    (204.119.47.50 is the default gateway used by the entire office.)  It
> hangs on the above line for probably 5-10 minutes.  Eventually it will
> boot up, and the default gateway DOES work.

Are you sure that it's that long?  This is typically a name server
lookup timeout, which takes about a minute, though it seems like an
hour.

>    I've also noticed that if I ^C at the point where it hangs, it
> continues booting again until it tries to start sendmail.  It then hangs
> at sendmail until I ^C again.  Then I finally get the login prompt.

Yup, those are the symptoms.

>    Thanx in advance for any help you might be able to throw my way.

The first case suggests that you probably have something like

   route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"

in your /etc/sysconfig.  If you're using a name server (either
directly or indirectly), it will try to resolve this name by first
asking for a top-level domain called 'localhost.'.   When this fails,
it will then look for a name 'localhost.<your domain here>.'  This
will usually be OK, so it will succeed and continue.

The answer to this one, which is especially important if you're on a
dialup link, is to add the fully qualified name.  For example, I have:

   route_loopback="${hostname} localhost.lemis.de."

The period at the end isn't a mistake, it's to show that this is an
absolute domain name.  That might be overkill here, but it's less
ambiguous.

The fact that you hang in these two places suggests to me that your
name server configuration isn't working correctly.  Could that be the
case?  By default, sendmail also does some name server lookups, and
that's what it's hanging on.

Greg