Date:      Fri, 18 May 2018 21:33:40 +0100
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        Ben Widawsky <ben@bwidawsk.net>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver
References:  <3a5edc5c-3caa-830b-4bd9-53ff52feb8a7@freebsd.org> <CAPS9%2BSv6SDWkbrEZruM4g2%2BOfw4ksvbtiMF=Q_towrMtJrgt1w@mail.gmail.com> <20180518193009.GA88432@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> <CANCZdfoMrFCyPteChSWgfYRY-uOyazzR0ZbYvp_OVmXRTe-Hqw@mail.gmail.com> <CAECmPwumz5mU=y0bt3za89NN9F3wbn5gyAJSi23-tCuYyzPv7g@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfosFaPJ_C7%2B-_9z0enyuK8ff=-iVLUVzV19oafedF-Mtg@mail.gmail.com> <20180518202200.dks3twrlfyhmcgbb@mail.bwidawsk.net>

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 9:22 PM, Ben Widawsky <ben@bwidawsk.net> wrote:

> On 18-05-18 14:15:03, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> and

> FreeBSD.
> cards, and
> Haswell,

> graphics/drm-stable-kmod and
> and
> lkpi,
> drm2

> drm2
> switching

> and

> > > Yeah I was wondering the same.. If you're running i386, do you need d=
rm
> > > drivers? Will scfb work an i386? (probably has legacy bios and if I
> > > remember correctly, scfb is UEFI only)
> > > I do feel sorry for anyone who would have to revert back to VESA...
> > >
> > > Would it be too much trouble to move it to a port?
> > >

> > If there's someone who needs it for i386, and wants to do the work and
> > maintain it, we should allow it. But the drm2 maintainers have said its
> > likely totally broken anyway.
> >
> > Warner
>
> As a long time developer in drm/i915, and newly interested in FreeBSD (ie=
.
> no
> history on the matter), is there some upside and/or desire to have native
> support, or is the drm-next-kmod solution good enough?

Given the fast evolution of graphics hardware and the amount of code in
only the AMD and Intel drivers, keep several native implementations seems
impossible, if not wasteful.
If you are referring to drm2 in the kernel, that's not much more native
than the drm kmods, it still uses a linux compatibility layer (but not as
sophisticated).

If we were to focus our effort somewhere, it should be to create a Common
Kernel Programming Interface for Linux and *BSDs, especially for DRM
drivers. Something a bit more stable that what we see in Linux today.