Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:49:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 (or more) LAN interface on SAME subnet ?

> >> This is not true.  The Internet Architecture requires that logical
> >> subnets be fully-connected.  The BSD Architecture requires that every
> >> network interface be connected to a unique subnet.
>
> > You mean "logical network interface", right?
>
> No, I don't.  I mean ``network interface driver instance''.
>
> > Otherwise you're saying you can't use bridges on subnets...
>
> No, I'm saying that you can use BSD to implement a bridge.

Then you are mixing definitions for "subnets" and "subnet".

If I have a wire named 137.190.32, I can have two wires named
137.190.32 with a bridge between them.

If I have a FreeBSD box as the bridge, then the two network interfaces
are connected to different wires, but the *same* subnet.

I think you mean that you aren't alled to hook two cards in the
same machine to the same wire.  THAT makes sense.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.