Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:49:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mike Berning" <berninme@muohio.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   domain names, named, and all the problems that go with it.

I registered a domain name from godaddy.com. They say you must select two
name servers to list on so I chose two of their park servers. I used their
website to add myself to one of the root servers and it worked fine. I now
want to run my own name server because I want to have several subdomains
such as 'person.example.com' and 'person2.example.com'. I took myself out
of the root nameserver with godaddy.com. I read the FreeBSD handbook about
how to run a nameserver, and here is what I have done.

my named.conf has this added to it. let's say my domain is example.com and
my my ip is 65.24.x.x

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        }
zone "example.com" {
        type master;
        file "example.com.db";
        };

and this is what I put in example.com.db

example.com. IN SOA ns1.example.com. admin.example.com. (
                            2002111005      ; Serial
                            30M             ; Refresh
                            3600            ; Retry
                            604800          ; Expire
                            86400 )         ; Minimum TTL

    ; DNS Servers
    @       IN NS           ns1.example.com.

    ; Machine Names
    localhost       IN A    127.0.0.1
    ns1             IN A    65.24.x.x
    @               IN A    65.24.x.x

    ; Aliases
    person             IN CNAME        @

I want to run the nameserer and the http server from the same computer.

Now when I type in http://example.com I get nothing. Does anybody have an
idea about what I should do. Thanks for the help.

Mike B
berninme@muohio.edu