Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 12:06:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'ntpdate' time server

I don't want the standard xntpd server, I want a server that you can point
'ntpdate' too along the lines of 'ntpdate foof.com' and it updates your
clock.  The reason I want this server is I have a firewalled network, and
I want servers on the firewall'ed side to somehow get their time sanity
from a machine which can sync with others in the world.  I figured I could
have a server outside the firewall keep in sync with other boxes on the
net, and in turn it could be a server for the firewalled side of the
network.  The connectivity isn't a concern--I can handle that.  My only
problem is I have no idea how to setup a server that 'ntpdate' will
recognize as such.  I don't want to setup a continuous xntpd syncing
mechanism, I just want to have the firewalled boxes run ntpdate once a
night.  Help?  I've dickered with xntpd trying to get it to do what I want
to no avail...

-Brandon Gillespie