Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 12:37:03 -0400
From:      Vinny Abello <vinny@tellurian.com>
To:        Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packet Loss w/bge & BCM5703 on Dell PE2650

Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
> Vinny Abello wrote:
>> Oliver Fromme wrote:
>>> Vinny Abello wrote:
>>>  >         I've isolated a problem which appears to be a bug causing
>>> packet loss
>>>  > with FreeBSD 6.0 and later on the Dell PowerEdge 2650 servers and the
>>>  > integrated Broadcom BCM5703 NICs.
>>>
>>> Have you enabled polling on the interface?
>>>
>>> I experienced a similar problem on a HP Proliant DL360
>>> running 6.2-stable (RELENG_6 of a few weeks ago).
>>> The problem disappeared upon "ifconfig bge0 polling".
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>    Oliver
>>
>> It appears I do not have the DEVICE_POLLING option set when I compiled
>> my kernel on my one machine and on the second I am just using the
>> GENERIC kernel. I'll recompile with this option set and try again and
>> post my results to the list.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Try disabling hardware assisted checksumming. ( ifconfig bge0 -txcsum
> -rxcsum ).

Thanks for the suggestion, but...

That's actually one of the first things I tried before writing to the
list. No difference.

I'm going to put an Intel Pro/100 card in shortly to see if the problem
goes away to be certain the issue is definitely with the integrated
Broadcom NICs.

--

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear"
-- Mark Twain