Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 2002 12:49:10 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: removing Turbochannel support for 5.0-current?

Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 12:45:13PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 07:14:43PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > Given that Turbochannel support and support for the machines that have
> > > TC buses has been left to rot AND the machines that have TC are
> > > about as fast as 486s running current:
> > >
> > > how about removing TC support from -current and from -current only?
> >
> > I've got that commit ready to go... but maybe I should let Drew's reponce
> > to this time out first.
>
> Apart from a diversion in this thread to discuss Multias/NoNames
> (which have no TC so...) I think the consensus is to axe TC.
>
> David, would you do the honors, as you have prepared it already?

Putting emotion aside for a moment,  NetBSD seem to get a lot more joy out
of keeping aging hardware up and running than we do.  I would wager that
come 5.0-R, NetBSD will run a lot more happily on such older hardware than
FreeBSD will since 5.x is being developed on bigger/faster boxes.

Cheers,
-Peter