Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 03:18:21 -0500
From:      "Ciro Maietta" <geminidominoubermensch@yahoo.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DHCP and DNS hostname resolution: A better way?

I'm running a FreeBSD 4.2 - Release (until I can figure out how to make
decent backups before going STABLE) firewall/DHCP server. I've got named and
dhcpd running just fine and dandy (named is local only, outside access is
blocked totally in ipfw.rules) but with one snafu.  Several of my clients
are laptops that I and a few other users on the network bring between our
respective home networks and the college network, all of which operate a
dhcp server (to prevent reconfiguring whenever we travel).

According to dhcpd.leases, dhcpd can pick up the hostname of the client when
an ip is leased (the line 'client-hostname: HOST' shows up in the lease
file), but  the clients can only be referenced by IP. i.e. 'ping ASGARD'
returns "Cannot resolve host: ASGARD" whereas pinging the IP works fine. So
far, I have only come across two ways that I can make this work. One is
assigning IP/Hostname depending on MAC address, and the other is using a
script (probably perl, in my case) to parse the dhcpd.leases file and
dynamically create /etc/hosts (and I have my doubts on whether that would
even actually WORK!). My question is this: Since dhcpd obviously KNOWS the
clients' hostnames, is there any way to reference the clients without
hard-coding the information in?

Sorry if I seem masochistic, but the path of least resistance also reaps the
least satisfaction. :)

TIA
-Ciro

** This .sig file is currently under federal investigation on suspicion of
treason, murder, and a lack of humor.