Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 22:50:41 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu
Subject:   Re: X for install

Poul-Henning Kamp stands accused of saying:
> > Erm, the BIOS geometry problem is entirely in software, and "probing" of
> > the BIOS geometry has already been implemented by someone named phk :-).
> > (The problem is that association of BIOS disk numbers with FreeBSD
> > disk names isn't really implemented.)
>
> And cannot be done reliably, unless you can actually read a couple
> of sectors using the bios :-)

THe problem is not reading the sectors, but which sectors to read.
0 is obviously a good choice, but 1..(s-1) are boring, and from there in it's
a tough call.

There are a few "better" ways perhaps to look for more unique things,
but you'll still be screwed by two identical disks with identical
contents 8(

> Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[