Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:47:09 -0500
From:      "Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp@gmail.com>
To:        Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, eculp <eculp@encontacto.net>
Subject:   Re: Opinion on using AMD Phenom II x6 1090t with Gigabyte 890BPA-UD3H and 8GB DDR-3 as a WebServer.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com> wrote:
> Of course it depends on your apps, but unless you're doing some HUGE numb=
er of connections, or your apps are .... "not good", this will be MORE than=
 enough RAM and CPU.

> Yes, generally speaking "more" of something is always better, in fact our=
 government seems to think more debt is better than less. =A0However, if yo=
u're web apps only need xGB of RAM and y MIPS; what benefit is it to have n=
 * x RAM and n * y MIPS?

> Maybe turn this into a virtual host and make some use of that hardware, o=
r just be happy using it at 5% capacity.

Thanks Gary.  I've been thinking about the virtual host idea and have
some extra IP's so that might be fun. Traditionally when  I renovate
one may personal servers, I have them running at 5-20% capacity and
within a year, I usually have figured out ways to put most all to use.
 The price difference between a minimal design and something like this
usually not significant.  So this is sounding more and more like a go.

Have a great day,

ed

@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of eculp
> Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:31 AM