Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:08:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        fbsd@opal.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, lev@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stateless dhcp6 server for FreeBSD?

> >   Is here any stateless dhcp6 solution for FreeBSD?
> >
> >   I need only distribute IPv6 DNS server addresses to clients, but not
> >  prefixes or address information.
> >

> DHCP is stateful.  If you want stateless, you need IPv6 RDNSS router
> advertisements.

Claiming that DHCP is (always) stateful is wrong. DHCP can be stateful
or stateless - it depends on what kind of information you ask for, and
the type of DHCP request.

For DHCPv4 - you can use the DHCPINFORM request to ask for DNS servers
and similar, without the server storing any state.

For DHCPv6 - you can use the Information-request in a similar way. See
RFC 3736, "Stateless Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Service
for IPv6", <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3736>.

ISC DHCP version 4 implements Information-request. See for instance
file dhcpv6.c, routine dhcpv6_information_request.