Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:27:30 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <matthew@wolfepub.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ed: device broken!? (was Re: ed1: device timeout?)

Greetings,

   Sorry for the cross-post to hackers, but this has been kicking around on
questions for a day or two with no resolution.  I have tried everything
suggested to me but nothing helps.

   Does anyone know if there is a problem with the ed: device driver on
2.2.6-R?  I have a PCI NIC that was giving me a ed1: timeout error.  I have
removed *every* card in the system except the video card (on the ISA bus),
changed cables twice, and set the NIC to every IRQ available on the system.
 I even disabled the serial and parallel ports to be able to use those IRQs.

   But here is the clincher...  I took out the PCI NIC and put in a real
Novell/Eagle NE2000 ISA NIC.  It is jumper-less so I used the DOS utility
that came with the card to set the IRQ and base address.  Then I booted
with the GENERIC kernel and set ed0: to the correct settings.  Now for the
big kick in the a**.  Both cards, the PCI and ISA NIC are both NE2000, so
they both use the ed: device and *both* cards give me the ed: timeout
error!!  By this time I was banging my head on everything in reach.  I have
another ISA NIC (a 3Com) that uses the ep: device and it works fine.

   Anyone else having problems like this?  The MB is an ASUS-Tech SPG3 (yes
it is a 486).  Intel-DX2-66, 24MB RAM, 4 ISA, 3 PCI, onboard IDE and SCSI
(both of which can be disabled).  I have been running FreeBSD on it for
about 2 years and this is the first time I have had any problems.

Thanks
Matthew