Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 06:05:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        brianc@pobox.com (Brian Campbell)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dma handling in the sound driver

> Not to suggest you shouldn't go off in your own direction, but I
> don't think SETFRAGMENT is useless.

I agree that with the current code SETFRAGMENT is necessary for
the reasons you mention. But with my scheme it becomes less necessary
because there is no predefined buffer size, the driver adapts to the
size of io requests done by the driver, while at the same time it feeds
the dma engine with the largest possible buffer size. What I _can_ do
(and in fact will, following your and other comments) is to make the
SETFRAGMENT call be used to limit the max size passed to the DMA. This
would be useful to reduce latency when reading. The change is just one
line of code:

	dl = min (dl, maxfragmentsize);

so I am not too worried about implementing it :)

	Cheers
	Luigi