Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 22:17:02 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Really slow setting multicast routing

    We had a building-wide power outage this morning and our floor's
BPS failed to kick in.  :(  I had to run one partition of my FreeBSD
box through fsck several times before it came clean, recovering a
handful of files into /usr/local/lost+found.  Is this normal, needing
to fsck several times?

    Anyhow, I noticed something a little peculiar when rebooting the
machines.  In /etc/netstart, the ifconfigs for my Ethernet card and
for the loopback interface come up nice a quickly, but then the
machine hangs for well over two minutes at the "route add 244.0.0.0"
line.  It eventually comes up on its own.  This is happening on both
machines now.  What is the purpose of this "multicast interface" with
the 224.0.0.0 address and the 240.0.0.0 netmask?  Could it be that a
downed nameserver or gateway on our network was causing the delay?
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org