Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:30:42 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help, I've broken ports and I can't get up

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:32:02PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu> types:
> > On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Doug Poland wrote:
> > > I recently moved my ports hierarchies with the following command:
> > >
> > > 	# tar -cf - -C ports . | tar xpf - -C /data/usr/ports
> > I had better luck with what I think was the DISTDIR variable,
> > which might help if you're concerned with space on a file system,
> > as distfiles can take quite a lot of space.
>
> If that's the problem, WRKDIRPREFIX can help as well, as it lets you
> unpack the tarballs and do the builds on a file system with more
> space.
>
> If you export /usr/ports via NFS so you can build on other systems,
> WRKDIRPREFIX is pretty much required.

That's what I have done.  I moved ports on to a drive to take advantage
of vinum and dirpref.  What was /usr/ports is now /data/usr/ports and
exported via NFS.

I'm not sure I understand the importance of WRKDIRPREFIX, especially
on the machine mounting the nfs export.

Is there a FAQ or published guidance on this technique.  How does one
find out all the variables involved?

--
Regards,
Doug