Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:18:35 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.homeunix.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solved?: Re: Upgrade of RELENG_8 ZFS boot pool leads to unbootable system

On Jan 2, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Matthew Seaman =
<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/01/2013 17:49, Paul Mather wrote:
>> Yesterday, I updated my RELENG_8 ZFS-only system that has worked like =
a champ for ages.  After a successful install{kernel,world} and reboot, =
I noticed the 20121130 entry in /usr/src/UPDATING and upgraded my ZFS =
pool via "zfs upgrade -a".  I also upgraded my boot blocks as requested, =
and as per the "ZFS notes" section of /usr/src/UPDATING.
>>=20
>> Unfortunately rebooting with the upgraded pool failed.  The =
"windmill" boot spinner spins for a tiny amount of time and then stops =
dead. :-(  I don't get to the boot loader menu at all.
>>=20
>> I downloaded a very recent RELENG_8 snapshot =
(FreeBSD-8.3-RELENG_8-r244923-JPSNAP-amd64-amd64-memstick.img) from =
pub.allbsd.org and was able to boot successfully from USB using that.  I =
entered Fixit Mode and tried to write the boot blocks on the memstick =
image onto my hard drives but the resultant system still wouldn't boot.  =
The commands I used (from Fixit Mode) are these:
>>=20
>> 	gpart bootcode -b /dist/boot/pmbr -p /dist/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 =
ad4
>> 	gpart bootcode -b /dist/boot/pmbr -p /dist/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 =
ad6
>>=20
>> (ad4 and ad6 are my two hard drives.)
>>=20
>> If I "load zfs" before booting the USB memstick then I can see my old =
pool listed when I do "zfs import".  I haven't tried importing the pool =
because I'm not sure if that would make the problem worse.
>>=20
>> Does anyone have any advice in restoring this system to bootability?  =
I followed the standard "root on ZFS" recipe using a two drive mirror =
when installing the system initially.  Each drive uses GPT with three =
partitions: freebsd-boot, freebsd-swap, and freebsd-zfs in that order.  =
Like I said at the start, all this worked for a long time until just now =
when I upgraded the pool to enable "feature flags" support. :-(
>>=20
>> Any help is appreciated.
>=20
> I think you may be running into problems with zpool.cache.  This has
> been fixed in current, which now has the ability to find the root =
zpool
> without a valid zpool.cache, but that I suspect is faint comfort for =
you.

It turns out it was my /boot.config that was preventing booting.  The =
system is usually always headless, so I have "-S115200 -Dh" as the sole =
line in /boot.config to enable a 115200 baud serial console.  This has =
been working fine for me up until I did a {build,install} {kernel,world} =
on 1st January 2013.  I was pretty sure my woes began after I did the =
"zpool upgrade -a" and subsequently rebooted again, but now I can't be =
sure whether I successfully rebooted at all after the "make =
installworld" and mergemaster step.

Does anyone know a sure-fire way of getting a dual console setup =
(high-speed serial + VGA).  The recipe I had been using had worked well =
for a long time.  I had "-S115200 -Dh" in /boot.config and the following =
entries in /boot/loader.conf:

	boot_multicons=3D"YES"
	comconsole_speed=3D"115200"
	console=3D"comconsole,vidconsole"

Now, though, if I have "-S115200 -Dh" then the system locks up at boot.  =
Removing /boot.config gets me dual console, but only at 9600 baud. :-(

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Is the BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED entry in /etc/make.conf needed?  I was =
under the impression it has been obsolete for a while and took it out of =
my /etc/make.conf file.