Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 15:03:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, green@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Oops! (Re: UPDATE2: Dynamic sysctls)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Kelly Yancey wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I received many useful comments regarding previous version, and made some
> > changes in functionality. The latest patches can be found at:
> >
> > 	http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/dyn_sysctl-070700.tgz

I'm not sure, guys, that you retrieved the right version.... :-((

*blush*

I must have done something stupid here when copying these files to
freefall. It seems to me that you still refer to the older version,
because in the new I changed the following:

* SYSCTL_CTX_CREATE is gone, replaced by SYSCTL_CTX_INIT
* sysctl_ctx_add was renamed, and two other functions were added:
	sysctl_ctx_entry_add
	sysctl_ctx_entry_find
	sysctl_ctx_entry_del
* sysctl_add_oid accepts NULL as valid context
* oidp->ref is now oidp->oid_refcnt

etc, etc... Please check that you have this version. I accidentally
overwrote the previous file on freefall, so I have no way of knowing what
was there before... I know, I know (*bangs his head in the wall*)... Too
little sleep.

Anyway, I double checked it right now. The file that you want is
named dyn_sysctl-080700.tgz. I added Brian's suggestion about
M_WAITOK.

Sorry again!

>   By the way, did you get message
> <Pine.BSF.4.21.0007022223510.7980-100000@gateway.posi.net> I sent regarding
> the last patchset? I am still unsure how the warning comment in
> sysctl_remove_oid applys. Also, I'de like to know what you thought of the
> suggestion to remove all special knowledge of contexts from
> sysctl_add_oid. i.e. to remove context handling from sysctl_add_oid and make
> the modules using contexts do something like:

Yes, the new patches allow you to do this. Thank you for the idea!

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----