Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:47:48 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't load if_xl module at startup

Hello,

I've just added a 3c900 NIC in my 4.0 machine. Not wanting to recompile my kernel, I've tried to kldload the if_xl module.

When I load the if_xl module "by hand", all is well : the miibus is also loaded and everything's fine (xl0 appears in ifconfig -a ...)

When I try to load the if_xl and miibus modules via the loader, the loader spins in :
"/modules/miibus.ko text=XXXX data=YYYY syms=[ZZZZ]
at infinitum

my loader.conf :
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
userconfig_script_load="YES"
miibus_load="YES"              # miibus support, needed for some drivers
if_xl_load="YES"

My system version :

pc-bsd103% uname -a
FreeBSD pc-bsd103.ZZZZ.telspace.alcatel.fr 4.0-20000214-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-2
0000214-CURRENT #1: Mon Feb 21 18:36:37 CET 2000     herbelot@pc-bsd103.ZZZZ.
telspace.alcatel.fr:/usr/src/sys/compile/P5-ep  i386
pc-bsd103%

Net result : one more kernel recompile (this time, it works !)

     TfH