Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:51:06 +0800
From:      darcsis@gmail.com (Denise H. G.)
To:        George Mamalakis <mamalos@eng.auth.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: chflags on zfs (sappnd)

On 2010/11/17 at 18:49, George Mamalakis <mamalos@eng.auth.gr> wrote:

> Hi everbody,
> from http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS I understand that chflags are
> supported by zfs. But if I have a file with sappnd on a zfs
> filesystem, I am unable to execute a command like this:
>
> # touch lili
> # chflags sappnd lili
> # ls -lrto lili
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  sappnd 5 Nov 17 12:38 lili
> # echo "lala" >> lili
> # echo "lala" >> lili
> -su: echo: write error: Operation not permitted
>
> So, the first time it worked, but it stops working on any consequent
> time (when the file is no more empty).
> I found a bug report on:

> where a patch is suggested. Nevertheless, even though my sources are
> newer than the suggested patch, my source tree does not contain it.
> Do we know anything more about it?
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD myhost 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #1: Fri Nov  5 17:27:37
> EET 2010     root@:/mnt/obj/mnt/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> Thank you all for your time in advance,
>
> mamalos

I can't reproduce the warning message here. When I do the second 'echo',
nothing appeared. But the file content was unchanged.

I am using zfs version 15.

#uname -a
FreeBSD pluton.xbsd.name 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Wed Nov 17
08:13:47 CST 2010
dhg@pluton.xbsd.name:/opt/obj/sysbld/usr/src/sys/pluton-amd64  amd64

--
If a scientist uncovers a publishable fact, it will
become central to his theory.

His theory, in turn, will become central to all
scientific truth.