Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 00:55:37 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        John Goerzen <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How does one allow changing of file modes from an FTP client ?

At 10:26 AM 2/8/98 -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>I suspect the command you are looking for is "site chmod".
>
>John

You suspect correctly and I am supremely humbled.

Got to admit the man entry was a wee bit enigmatic :
"site arg1 arg2 ...
 The arguments specified are sent, verbatim, to the remote FTP
 server as a SITE command."

Although the help whilst in an ftp session was better :

ftp> site help
214-The following SITE commands are recognized (* =>'s unimplemented).
   UMASK   IDLE    CHMOD   HELP

Thanks a lot John,

chas