Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2016 15:15:22 +0000
From:      David DeSimone <ddesimone@verio.net>
To:        Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <stdin@niklaas.eu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Getting CARP to broadcast on a different interface

One of the purposes of the CARP announcements is to announce the location o=
f the virtual mac address to the upstream switch fabric.  Since CARP uses a=
 virtual mac that floats between multiple ports, you need to have the CARP =
master continually assert that its particular port is the target that shoul=
d be used for delivery of packets to the virtual MAC address.  Without this=
 function, switches might still mistakenly deliver their frames to the stan=
dby node.

The CARP announcements are also helpful in detecting and routing around som=
e odd failure scenarios, such as a failure within the upstream fabric, wher=
e the master sees link on its port, but can't actually send frames that rea=
ch the rest of the network.  If the standby can't hear the master's announc=
ements any more, it can promote itself to master and hopefully keep your cl=
uster online.  This would not happen without the announcement feature.

I would hope you could explain this to your provider and get them to white-=
list CARP announcements because they are defeating important safety feature=
s you wish to use.