Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:16:53 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig finding libraries, but ld is not.

> Yeah, I did that. /usr/local is on /usr, and /home has stuff that's
> local on it. It's just a minor annoyance (as opposed to, say, Windows
> UI behavior, which is a major annoyance).

This is an old, old, _OLD_ problem.  I personally have been dealing with it
since the days of mod.sources. I even remember the wrenching sensation that
came from discovering that there were these very substantial, useful programs
out there and people _just gave them away_.  The mind boggled.

For many years we have (on our Sun systems) had a /usr/local/{bin,lib,sbin,etc}
hierarchy for stuff from the net (etc) that isn't part of the OS, and /usr/
local/<org>/{bin,lib,etc} for locally-developed stuff.  It's a 3-way
distinction that has proved very useful.

It does still annoy me that gcc on Suns will look in /usr/local/include but
the linker won't look in /usr/local/lib...