Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 13:06:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

> > Here are some more minor points about the October 5 cut of 2.1.  Some
> > are important, others are just FYI.
> >
> > 1. If a CD-ROM is specified in /etc/fstab, and there is no CD in the
> >    drive, the mount will fail and rc will abort.  This doesn't make
> >    much sense, especially for people who don't understand the
> >    background.
> >
> >    I'd like some feedback on whether you would like to change this,
> >    since otherwise I need to talk about it in my book.
>
> This is a known bug, and it would appear that nobody is particularly
> keen to change it.  I beat my chest about it several times and
> everybody involved just sort of waffled on it until the subject died
> down again.  Until then, I may just take the automount of the CDROM
> out of /etc/fstab and have people do it by hand.  I hate this, but I
> lack the time to go fix whatever stupidity it is in our system that
> prevents the system from coming up whenever a CDROM isn't in the
> drive.  Unless we fix it, /cdrom is coming out of the default fstab
> in 2.1.  Better a system that comes up without a CDROM rather than
> one that doesn't!

I don't understand.  You want it to mount a non-existant drive?

You can't.

You want it to not mount unless told to?

Put noauto in the fstab options for the device.

You want it to mount if there is a cdrom but not if there isn't?

You need a new option, or, preferrably, better removable media support.

If you decide you want better removable media support, let me know.  This
is on the order of card services for PCMCIA devices.  I was moving the
file systems towards this type of support (mount consists of asking each
FS "do you want this device?") when I got stalled.

> > 2. The SCSI tape driver will rewind a non-rewinding tape under some
> >    circumstances (I think it's when it detects an EOM).  I have a tape
> >    with multiple files which is readable, but the second-to-last tape
> >    mark seems to be flaky and an 'mt fsf 3' tends to go one mark too
> >    far.  It was a real pain trying to read in the tape, since the
> >    driver kept rewinding it.
>
> Hmmmmm!  I'll let some of the SCSI hackers on our list field this one.
> I don't actually use tapes in my daily life, so I've no direct
> experience with this behavior.

How about rewriting the tape so the mark isn't flakey?

> > 8. sysconfig waits until you commit before asking what kind of
> >    bootstrap manager you want to use.  I think it should belong in the
> >    partition editor.  Please tell me if you change this one, since I
> >    need to document it.
>
> I think you're right.  Hmmm.  I will have it ask you when you leave
> the editor, 'k?  What do the others think?

I think the whole logical volume device mapping is going to change
under devfs.  I think it *doesn't* belong in the partitioning tool.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.