Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:06:56 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, Antonio Bemfica <antonio@axolotl.ic.gc.ca>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall cannot find any disks ?

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Better be quick or it will be adopted by an Amnesty activist group.. ;-)
> > In other words: I meet an increasing number of people who use sysinstall
> > for all sorts of stuff and love it.
>
> I'm sure the functionality it provides is appreciated and the desire
> to provide such functionality is why I wrote it.  Nonetheless, the
> entire design and implementation of sysinstall and its satellite
> binaries is far too simplistic and non-extensible given that what
> people have been using since April of 1995 is nothing more than a
> stick-and-bubblegum prototype which was never meant to live more than
> six months.
>
> Unfortunately, my life changed pretty radically right after that and
> all that wonderful uninterrupted free-time I was counting on using to
> go off and implement Son of Sysinstall (e.g. the real application) got
> eaten up by evangelical and management activities.  I still
> occasionally dream of becoming a full-time programmer again and doing
> this work, but then I also dream of becoming an astronaut and moving
> to the international space station. :-) I think it's time for the next
> generation of installation hackers to take up the gauntlet, and some
> have already done so with the libh project.  Pity they don't appear to
> have a web page anywhere though...
>
> - Jordan

Jordan, you gave us a damn useful utility with sysinstall.  I've been using
FreeBSD for a little less than a year, and you can be sure that early in my
learning process with the OS that /stand/sysinstall came in handy many times.
Perhaps you and many others with years of experience with FreeBSD fail to see
its utility, but be assured that newcomers to FreeBSD find it a whole helluva
lot easier to use than trying to vi /etc/rc.conf or adduser.  Converts from
Linux in particular will find the ifconfig switches and values different from
what they are used to.  The utility may be a hack and may be simple-minded, but
IMHO it should be left in place.  It doesn't _need_ to be "improved", merely
kept up to date with serious changes in the way FreeBSD is configured.

Thank you for your past, present and future efforts.

Dave