Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2019 19:24:24 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS memory use (arc limit)

Hello,

What's the current best practices for handling memory use for ZFS ARC?

I've been a ZFS user for over 10 years starting with v15 pretty much back w=
hen it first appeared.
Very quickly I adopted the attitude of immediately limiting ARC manually vi=
a sysctl, as I seemed to get guaranteed swap issues otherwise. Over the yea=
rs I've seen references to other people seeing the same issues, various wor=
k on ZFS memory use, but I've never relied on the system to sort itself out=
 and always just hard limited it by default.

Just this week I installed a new system (11.2-REL) with 12GB RAM (not a hug=
e amount but more than most my FreeBSD systems) that does nothing else othe=
r than NFS sharing. I never got round to limiting the ARC and thought it wo=
uld probably be alright considering how mature the ZFS support is these day=
s. I did check the sysctl and it seemed to be set around 11GB or so. Just o=
ver 24 hours after booting the NFS shares went down and a check of dmesg sh=
ows the familiar "x was killed; out of swap space" errors. Swap space is 4G=
B, which could probably be higher, but I've never seen it above a few MB in=
 use. (Maybe I need to set it the same as RAM?)

As such, it seems that it's still absolutely vital that the admin sets a ha=
rd limit on ARC, leaving enough headroom for whatever applications are bein=
g run on the system?
Is this recommended, or is there something I'm not doing right...?

Regards,
Matt Churchyard