Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2017 00:58:58 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap

from  Friedrich Locke:

> How to specify to portsnap the version of ports i want.
> Currently, i believe, i am using ports -current. I want to use the stable version.

> Thanks.

I don't think you can.  Try "man portsnap": does not work on my system because I built without portsnap or svnlite, figuring to use the real subversion instead, from NetBSD if not from FreeBSD.

But you could build devel/subversion from the current ports tree and then checkout the desired ports tree branch.

I use only the current ports tree, and in NetBSD, the current (as opposed to quarterly) pkgsrc.

I figure if something doesn't work quite right and I want the next version, I don't want to have to wait for the next quarter-year.

Tom