Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:58:26 -0800
From:      Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Eric Joyner <ricera10@gmail.com>, Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding new media types to if_media.h

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 08:25:59PM -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> A> [snip]
> A>
> A> I think Mike's approach is good - it makes it easy to MFC to 10.2
> A> since there's extended lifecycle stuff to do there - and then we can
> A> plan out how do the "betterer" fix after it's landed and churned
> A> things.
>
> ... and we will be ought to support the "betterer" fix along with
> the "not so betterer" for a very long time.
>
> The rock on which we split in this argument is that some developers
> write their code for stable/x and then forward-port it to head,
> focused on quality of result for stable/x; while other developers
> do the opposite: write code to head, then consider or not consider
> merging it stable/x.

I think this is oversimplified. In my 10 years in this role at Intel I've
had
cases when, in response to a customer issue, I had to work from
an existing code base to solve a problem, or add support for a new
feature. But then there are other times when I've been working on a
new driver, and its been totally developed from HEAD.

It depends on what's right for the circumstance, but as I said, on this
issue we have real product/customer needs that are short term, and
the competition (Linux and Windows) is prepared to handle the new
media today, I think its in FreeBSD's interest to address this ASAP.

Jack