Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 23:29:46 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP PCI modem

Jamie Bowden wrote:

> > Isn't that the PC99 spec?  The 98 spec says it can't exist for some
> > consumer related products.  The 99 spec does away with the ISA bus
> > completely.  Otehrwise the PC98 systems wouldn't have the ISA bus in
> > them at all, like the one I have on my desk at work.  PC98 made the
> > bus optional.
>
> So, does this mean motherboards with a decent number of PCI slots will
> start appearing?

Truth to be told, MS' PCs spec are headed to un-upgradability. Like
requiring WebTV hardware for any Entertainement class PCs, and
recommending it elsewhere, at the same time it advises against CPU
or memory upgradability (for now -- these advises have a tendency to
turn into requirements).

So... if MS has the way they seem to be wanting, the answer would be
no.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Heart like a Gabriel, pure and white as ivory,
	soul like a lucifer, black and cold as a piece of lead."