Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 14:58:21 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        julian@freefall.cdrom.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> I am about ready to let people hack at devfs.
> but one thing I'm not sure about:
>
> what is a good way for the devfs to appear?
>
> I personally favour something hierachical,
> such as:
>
> /devices/disks/sd0/all
  ^^^^^^^^
Isn't it too long ? One of things I like in Unix is that the
often used commands and directories have short 2- or 3-letter name.
It's only my IMHO so you obviously may ignore it.

> /devices/disks/sd0/FAT/all	/* I suppose it could be called C: */
> /devices/disks/sd0/BSD/all
                     ^^^
What if we have 2 BSD parititons? I'm able to point at least one reason
for doing that. It's convenient if I have the system on the 1st partition
and archieves, extended utilities and other thigs like these on the 2nd
partition. Really I have DOS on the same drive and sometimes I need to have
a lot of DOS space or to install temporary some other operating system. In
such case I merely backup my 2nd BSD partiton, remove it, intstall
what-is-needed, use it, remove what-is-not-needed-more and restore my
2nd partition. I don't have to reinstall the whole system, I just need
to add a filesystem. Really I used this strategy with SCO and I have
installed FreeBSD for the first time in a "temporary space" of such kind.

So probably it will be better to have additional level of directories

/devices/disks/sd0/BSD/1/all

or names like

/devices/disks/sd0/BSD-1/all

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia