Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:28:28 -0600
From:      Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mail server DNS configuration questions

Hi,

Well, my clients at church are still having issues and after working with
George, a respondant to my original questions, I think that most, if not all,
of my problems are related to DNS and how we've got it improperly configured.

First, a crude drawing of how our mail server exists in the world:

192.168.2.x/24           72.24.23.252      "lot's of networks"
Private Network <--> CableOne <--> Internet

Now, our mail server's IP is 192.168.2.23.  On the router, he (the person at
whose house the mail server is) has IP forwarding setup so that mail get's
sent to our FreeBSD machine.  Using dig, here's the responses:

(from my FBSD machine at home, not the server)
[/usr/home/andy]
-> dig +short -t MX whitneybaptist.org
10 mail.whitneybaptist.org.
[/usr/home/andy]
-> dig +short -t A whitneybaptist.org
72.24.34.252
[/usr/home/andy]
-> dig +short -x 72.24.34.252
34-252.72-24-cpe.cableone.net.

(from the church FBSD machine)
[/home/afalanga]
-> hostname
whitbap
[/home/afalanga]
-> ifconfig fxp0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        inet 192.168.2.23 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        ether 00:d0:b7:74:87:48
        status: active
[/home/afalanga]
-> cat /etc/resolv.conf
search McCutchanLAN
nameserver 192.168.2.1

It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or a computer scientist, to figure out
we've got DNS issues.  I'm thinking that I should setup a domain within the
192.168.2.0/24 network on this box.  I've done this before, at work.  The
question I've got is I've never actually integrated a domain like this to a
domain on the Internet.  I'm thinking that we'll setup something like:
internal.whitneybaptist.org with hosts in that sub-domain.

So, what would my DNS tables need to look like to make this happen.  Also, to
any knowledgable souls here, what RFCs address these issues?

Thanks,
Andy