Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 15:00:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      JacobRhoden <f3z@iprimus.com.au>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/45940: burncd missing info

The following reply was made to PR docs/45940; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: JacobRhoden <f3z@iprimus.com.au>
To: Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: sos@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:55:51 +1100

 I'll leave all text of previous posts in for Soren's benefit

 On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 05:27, you wrote:
 > On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:07:27AM +1100, Jacob Rhoden wrote:
 > > >Number:         45940
 > > >Category:       docs
 > > >Synopsis:       burncd missing info
 > > >Confidential:   no
 > > >Severity:       non-critical
 > > >Responsible:    freebsd-doc
 > > >State:          open
 > > >Class:          doc-bug
 > > >Submitter-Id:   current-users
 > > >Arrival-Date:   Mon Dec 02 15:10:07 PST 2002
 > > >Originator:     Jacob Rhoden
 > > >Release:        FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE i386

 > > Hi,
 > > When I was learning to use burncd, it forced a question to
 > > freebsd-questions, to save other people time the man page could be
 > > updated with this information. Currently, if you are burning a data c=
 d,
 > > there is a comment at the end of the man page explaining that the dat=
 > > track must be made using a port called mkisofs. I assumed the audio
 > > format must be in wav, because there is no such comment for audio tra=
 cks.
 > > Using wav format does not work.
 >
 > From the manual page:
 >
 > raw | audio   Set the write mode to produce audio (raw mode) tracks for
 >                    the following images on the command line.
 >
 > From the Handbook:
 >
 > You have to use raw PCM with  burncd(8). If you use WAV files, you will
 > notice a small tick sound at the beginning of each track, this sound is
 > the header of the WAV file. You can simply remove the header of a WAV
 > file with the utility SoX (it can be installed from the  audio/sox port
 > or package):
 >
 >     % sox -t wav -r 44100 -s -w -c 2 track.wav track.raw
 >
 > > >How-To-Repeat:
 > >
 > > Get a new person to try and burn an audio cd (:
 > > >Fix:
 > >
 > > A possible ammendment to the last paragraph in the EXAMPLES section c=
 ould
 > > be:
 > >
 > >   Audio tracks are assumed to be in raw format. The utility CopyAudio=
 (1)
 > > which is found in the 'afsp' port can be used to do this.
 >
 > SoX is given as example in the Handbook, and also dd(1) for duplicating
 > audio cd
 > (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds=
 =2Ehtm
 >l)
 >
 > Perhaps burncd(8) should be more explicit, I think Soren is the right
 > person to take care of this.

 I think I searched for 'burncd' on www.freebsd.org and didnt find anythin=
 g=20
 useful, so hadn't read the handbook, the place i found help was on google=
 ,=20
 thats why I found that 'CopyAudio' command.

 You are right, i probably should have picked up that you need to convert =
 wav=20
 files.. but i didnt (:  I thought perhaps because it had a specific direc=
 tion=20
 to where to look to find out how to make iso format images, it might be a=
 =20
 good idea to do that for wav.=20

 If you guys dont think it needs to be thats fine (: just trying to be hel=
 pful.

 Best Regards,
 Jacob

 Jacob Rhoden            Phone: +61 3 8344 6102
 ITS Division            Email: jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au
 Melbourne University   Mobile: +61 403 788 386