Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:25:25 -0400
From:      "Kevin K" <kkutzko@teksavvy.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop wont boot off install cd

> > Please try one of the more recent 7-stable snapshots
> > from June or July.  They're located on the FTP sites
> > in /pub/FreeBSD/snapshots.
> >
> > Best regards
> >    Oliver
>
> This was actually just recommended to me by Gavin Atkinson earlier
> today. I
> am downloading 7.0-STABLE-200806-amd64-disc1.iso right now and will try
> that
> today.

Okay I just tried the above snapshot and there are still problems -- I'm not
getting the BTX error message nor the infinite scrolling hex dump, but it
sits at loading /boot/default/loader.conf for about 5-10 seconds then does a
straight reboot without any discernable error message.

After doing some more digging, I found one suggestion from someone who
experienced a similar problem with an HP Pavilion ze2000 w/ amd64 turion
processor :

"Installation hangs at boot until you disable the apic and serial ports as
follows in the boot loader command line:

set hint.apic.0.disabled=1
set hint.sio.0.disabled=1
set hint.sio.1.disabled=1"

I'm going to try this and see if that helps. I don't really need the serial
ports on this laptop anyways, so maybe it will work.

If anyone has any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kevin K.