Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:08:05 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   GPS for xntpd Stratum 1 servers

I've been looking up GPS products that will work with FreeBSD and here's
what I've found so far.

1) John Hay has contributed code for NMEA drivers in xntpd.  This is a
standard protocol emitted by devices used for the boat navigation
industry, "and you thought this was the Information Super Highway".

>From the xntpd docs it looks like he is using a Garmin 25XL GPS device.
http://www.garmin.com only shows Garmin 45XL.  I wonder how much these
things cost?  Anyway, this apparently works now on FreeBSD.

2) Poul is playing around with the Motorolla UT Oncore Evaluation Kit.
>From what I gather, the "Evaluation Kit" is what you would actually end up
using.  The unit is housed in an aluminum casing and they provide the
RS-232 cable and some control software that runs on a PC.  This looks like
a cheap way to get a pretty high quality device.  A lot of devices out
there require a Gadget box to interface to a PC, the Evaluation kit takes
care of that for you.

3) There are products specifically made for the PC market like the Bancomm
bc635/637PCI card with GPS.  At http://www.bancomm.com they list Win95 and
WinNT drivers but no UNIX.  I don't know if they'll provide enough info to
write a driver.

Is there anyone else using GPS on FreeBSD with xntpd as a Stratum 1 server
solution?

Regards,

Mike Hancock

--
michaelh@cet.co.jp                                http://www.cet.co.jp
CET Inc., Daiichi Kasuya BLDG 8F 2-5-12, Higashi Shinbashi, Minato-ku,