Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:57:30 +0200
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distfiles no longer on 4.0 CDs

Jordan K. Hubbard (jkh@zippy.cdrom.com) napisał(a):
> I could certainly make a super-set INDEX file with some sort of CD#
> field (I'd have to extend or munge the current INDEX format) available
> on each of the CDs, sure.  That's a good idea.

There is a nice way to handle this in IBM's AIX ... it has
already 3 CD of a base system (all system is split into "packages").

The install utility, installp (much better than all rpm's)
takes care of informing the user which CD to insert.

The funny thing is, that installp accepts "/dev/cd0" - path
to CD-ROM device - as a "source" path... i.e. the user does
not have to mount the CD to get the packages - installp
(un)mounts it in his favourite mount point on an as-needed basis.
(I guess one would even add an interface to support changers, why not).

In my opinion, we should work on pkg_add to support such a feature
(a "-C device" option)... and of course bsd.port.mk could be
updated to handle this. But there is always a tradeoff between
end-user convenience (Please insert CD #blahblah) and the UNIX
traditional mechanisms, like setting just ${DISTDIR}.
Perhaps we end up in adding ${CDROMDIR} and some simple CD
changing handler.

One thing I would like personally to avoid is a Solaris-like
vold (volume manager) thing. This is the first process which
gets killed on my machines.

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>