Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:52:31 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using Acrobat4 plugin with Linux Netscape

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 03:11:16PM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've installed the  Linux version of Netscape on this  4.0 machine to be
> able to use linux plugins. The first  one I tried is Acroread4 -- I made
> the symlink
> 	nppdf.so -> ../../../Acrobat4/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so
>
> in /usr/local/lib/netscape-linux/plugins . Now Netscape complains:
>
> ERROR: libc.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Cant load plugin /usr/local/lib/netscape-linux/plugins/nppdf.so. Ignored.
>
> The  linux_base port  is installed  and happy  (the Communicator  itself
> runs). The libc.so.5 is there:
>
> /usr/compat/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libc.so.5: symbolic link to libc.so.5.3.12
>
> what  am   I  missing?  Adding  ``/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/''   to  the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH  causes  Netscape to  die  at  startup with  bus  error.
> Thanks!

Try removing LD_LIBRARY_PATH completely. Several of us found it broke
Linux apps (core dumps on start up) after installing linux_base (to
get Staroffice working).

I'm running Netscape Communicator 4.61 for Linux and the Acroread-4
plug-in works fine (now I've deleted LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

HTH

> 	-mi

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000