Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 19:28:09 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current runs fine on 4 CPU's as well

Hi,

> Just sup'ed current, made the world and a new SMP kernel (suped 1 hour ago).
> It's been running on 4 CPU's now since december, and I've only had two
> crashes since then. It's not heavily loaded, but when it once in a while
> is loaded, it quite loaded chewing data that needs 50-100MB of memory
> and sometimes causing heavy paging as well (got 128MB on it).

Cyrus recently identified a dead-lock in the APIC_IO version.  The symptom
is a complete freeze of the system while doing heavy IO.
Are you using the APIC_IO version?
When you say "crash", do you mean spontanious reboot, panic, or freeze?

Earlier today I commited a "bandaid" that should help with this problem.
Did you get the version of mpapic.h that has "#define APICIPI_BANDAID" in it?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by