Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:14:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick@kris.wpi.edu>
To:        blank@uni-trier.de (Sascha Blank)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solved: StarOffice 5.1 always starts setup

> usual FreeBSD How-To's.  After starting /path/to/soffice the first time
> it actually executed the office suite and not the setup program as
> before!

Okay.  I've been following this discussion and have made numerous attempts
to get SO5.1 running.  I applied the procfs_docmdline() patch and it was
able to do the /net install (I even wrote up a nifty shell script to do all
the necessary environment variables, untarring, etc)...  The installation
was flawless except for the console message:

shared address space fork attempted: pid: 743

which was repeated twice.  Cool beans.  Then I tried:
/compat/linux/opt/Office51/bin/setup
to run the installer as my user this time (the net install was of course
done as root).  It asks for the custnum/regkey and all the user info, then
went to install.  It got to 100%, then the drive stopped ticking.  I waited
about 10 minutes, checked the process using top, which was taking about 4%
of the CPU and falling.  When I switched back, the setup program wasn't
refreshing after the XExpose...  So I assumed it crashed, destroyed the
window, and SIGINT'd the setup process.

When I tried running the "soffice" script, I saw it startup the
"soffice.bin" binary (in top), but I saw the console message:

shared address space fork attempted: pid: 771

repeated three times.  Hmm.  I'm running 3.2-R, SMP on a dual PPro 200.  I
waited another five minutes, nothing come up, and the process dropped to
about 2% of the CPU.  It didn't seem to want to start up.

Frustrating.  I had tried the non-/net install before on a different 3.2-R
box with no problems in setup but still the same waiting-for-nothing-to-
show-up soffice binary.

All you people who have SO5.1 running in fbsd, please tell me what I've
missed...  I highly suspect this "shared address space fork" as the
problem.  I have linux_lib-2.6.1 installed and the linux module's working
(obviously, or I wouldn't have been able to install)...

Thanks a bunch, and thanks for all your efforts with the linux emulation!

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                     rick@kiwi-computer.com