Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:46:45 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP support in FreeBSD 3.3 (Release)October 1999

According to dirard m. mikdad:
> I am running Red Hat Linux 6.1 on an Asus P2BDS motherboard with onboard
> an adaptec 7890 u2w scsi controller chipset.
> My question is: Does FreeBSD 3.3 (october 1999 release) support this
> board?

I think it will run fine.

>        And I install FreeBSD, does it detect both processors by default
> or should I compile a customized kernel with smp support enabled?

You have to build a special kernel for that. See /sys/i386/conf/LINT for
details. Remember to check the version of the SMP spec. you're using
(generally settable in the BIOS). You want 1.4.

If you get troubles, just post you config file, dmesg and mptable here.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #75: Tue Nov  2 21:03:12 CET 1999