Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 19:17:08 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

>> I bet the root directory and the single file therein are actually
>> dummies.  They are only there to not confuse people looking at it
>> without the proper driver loaded.

>I'd daresay they are - I'd guess that the FAT is only 1 sector long,
>and various other space-saving things too.

>> I've already been discussing this with Bruce (altough, this has been
>> at the time the article about OS/2's install floppies appeared here),
>> and the result was that it's rather useless since the BIOS cannot
>> handle it, and our installation procedure does require a single (1.2
>> MB !!!) floppy at all.

IIRC the DMF has sectors of various sizes on each track.  There's at
least one 512-byte sector.  This could be used for the boot sector
to keep boot loaders happy.  The FAT and directory could be placed
on other 512-byte sectors so that they can be read by dumb drivers.
Then "DIR" could work with no special support, at least if the
floppy isn't cached.

>Does the BIOS actually rangecheck the sector numbers you try to read?
>Talk about a nuisance 8( (As suggestions go, it wasn't a bad one)

I think some do.  An old bug report and/or comments in the Linux loader
say that some SCSI BIOSes screw up the floppy parameter table, leaving
it with 9 sectors, and then attempts to read sectors > 9 fail.  The
fix is to write a suitably large number to the sectors field of the
parameter table.  The parameter table is used mostly for formatting
and it apparently doesn't hurt to have a larger than necessary number
there for anything else.

Many floppy drivers are challenged by variable sized sectors :-).
They should probably use a track buffer and present only 512-byte
sectors to the OS.  This would be a lot of work for a small gain
in space and a loss of time.

Bruce