Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:12:41 -0900
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About introducing newbies to FreeBSD

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Uh, there's freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, there's the newsgroup(s)
> > comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.*, there's the bug database (ok, you can't ask
> > questions of it, but you can search for similar problems and see if
> > you've found a bug), and probably several other pretty official ways
> > to ask questions. the first two have usually taken care of my issues,
> > although not always the way I might have liked. ;-)
>
> You missed the part where he said "and quickly get them answered".
>
> The response "RTFM" or "FAQ #28" isn't an answer.  The most
> silly thing I've seen of this nature is a "FAQ #1" answer to
> a "Hi, I've been told to read FAQ #28; where can I find the
> FAQ?" question.

I agree with you here, most of these replies are less than helpful.

As a newbie myself, I've tried several methods to get answers.  I do
read the handbook and FAQs for the appropriate sections, but if I want
an answer not in the usual docs, the _fastest_ way has been the
mailing list archives.  More info on the effective use and searching
of the mailing list archives might help a lot of people, since most
questions, even the very hardware/configuration specific ones, have
been asked and answered.  I have very seldom needed to ask my own
question on any newsgroup or mailing list.  This is great if you don't
feel like reading "RTFM!" or such.

Brian Raynes