Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:06:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86-4 on thinkpad 560e

Hmmm, I don't even know where to begin with this.  This isn't a FreeBSD
question, but I figure I might find some help here ...

I installed XFree86-4 from the ports, but I am having problems getting it
configured properly for my laptop.  I have an IBM Thinkpad 560E, which
seems to have really weird synch rates.  The machine has a Trident 9660
PCI card (well, it's on the PCI bus anyways) and a 12.1" LCD screen.  The
technical specs site on ibm.com doesn't give me anything helpful on what I
should be using for ranges.  From the XFree86-3.3.6 I have "HorizSync
25-79" and "VertRefresh 20-76"

The default config file that is produced by "XFree86 -configure" just
gives me a bunch of vertical lines.  "xf86cfg" doesn't help either.  From
that I get a 640x480 screen with some weird green squares (trippy ANSI
graphics or something :) ) and stuff.

Is XFree86-4 generally harder to get working with LCDs/laptops?  v3.3.6
was a pain from what I recall, and I ended up finding someone elses config
that I found.  I searched on google for some help with this, but havn't
found much.  One guy said he just gave up and went back to 3.3 :)

Anyone good at this sort of thing?  I assume I will need to paste
/var/log/XFree86.0.log?